Saturday, February 7, 2015

The Night Scene

I decided to share with you a previous writing that I did for my English class, but I that sort of feeling that this one scene that I wrote would describe a certain part of my day. Today, I realized something about the world, and myself. There is this short story called "Night" that I previously read. So, I added a scene to it. Here it is.

    There was a doorbell ring in the night. It was softer then anyone could hear in the house.
    The doorbell chimed again, only a slad bit higher in noise. This time it finally awoke him.
    He started to get up, but this was never part of the nightly routine for him. It seemed like a dream, only it wasn’t. As he started to head for the door, there was a brisk knocking as he opened it.
    The mother’s soft snores could be heard so silently as they faded when the front door swung open. It was dark in the night sky, but the lamp lights started to flicker. There was a police car outside the door. The police man standed outside the door holding a child.
        “ We found him, I am so sorry for how long this took...” the police man spoke silently as he started to hand over th child.
     “ Give me my son. “ the father stammered as he was gently placed the boy into his arms. The soft, deep breathing of the body started to echo in his mind. The man closed the door with his foot and locked it. He was very careful not to hurt the child as he started to walk down the hallway.
     He protected the boys feet from hititng the walls as they boy slept. Bu cradling his head, he made a soft turn into the room across from his. He turned on the light and started to walk over to the pre made bes that was already set for the boy, just like before. As he placed the boy down, he started to make sure that the boy was still sleeping. The man took the boy’s inhaler and placed it on his desk.
    As he started to walk back over to the bed, the boy turned around in an instant. His breathing was still heavily heard , but he was able to make out a simple phrase.
       “ You listened, Dad.”
    He felt as though the room started to feel full again. Full of life that he needed to protect and listen to again to the world around him. He was lost, then found. As the man walked over to the boy, he whispered out a phrase sp soft that only the boy’s ears would take in.
      “ I finally did.”
    The man then started for the door, but before he did so, he tucked his son in for the rest of the night. He softly kissed his head as he brushed aside his hair. He could still here the child’s soft deep breathing as he started to turn around and leave.
      As he walked through the door frame, he looked back one last time at the boy, the one he finally listened for as he went back to sleep. He started to walk into the other room, hands by his sides and laid down onto the comforter. He placed his head on the pillow and made sure that in the distance he could still hear the boy from the room across the hall.
      The slow and deep breathing echoed through the walla to his room. The boy was safe and sound at last.
      “ I listened my son, I listened. “
      The man finally let go of life around him and closed his eyes, ready to awake in the morning.
       This seemed to be like a dream, only it wasn’t, for this didn’t happen every night.

No comments:

Post a Comment